Economic Research Southern Africa (ERSA) is an independent, non-partisan institute, devoted to the deepening and broadening of economic research in Southern Africa. Towards this end ERSA is developing further analytical programmes surrounding policy oriented economic research focussed on Southern Africa. We accordingly invite applications for the above positions.
ERSA is seeking to hire particularly in the fields of macroeconomics, economic growth and public economics.
Applicants for the positions of Policy Associates are expected to have strong analytical capacity, and indications of promise in conducting independent research. An appropriate postgraduate qualification in Economics (typically a PhD) is required. Duties of Policy Associates include:
- Managing and conducting any in-house economic policy work being pursued by ERSA, focussed on macro-economic policy questions in South Africa, including drivers of economic growth, and issues relating to public economics.
- Identifying areas of policy analysis and supporting links with the academic community in order to promote policy-related economic research.
- Identifying and developing networks linking ERSA with regional governments and other public and private bodies seeking policy related research and analysis.
Selection criteria for the posts will be as follows:
- Suitable academic qualifications. Ideally a Ph.D. qualification.
- Preferably some exposure to policy work.
- Proven ability to write clear and concise briefs.
- Proven ability to communicate analytical findings and results.
Candidates are requested to indicate the area of research in which they wish to be considered.
A detailed information sheet on ERSA is available on request. Any questions regarding ERSA and these positions can be directed to Professor Johannes Fedderke, jwf15 [at] psu.edu
Appointments will be to a 3 year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of renewal.
Remuneration packages are negotiable, in line with experience and academic standing, and are highly competitive. Typically the remuneration will be at the South African Associate Professor level.
Applications will be considered until the appointments process has been finalised. Only short listed candidates will be notified.
Please email: a letter of motivation, your full CV (no certificates) and contact details of 3 referees, to: Gloria Halland at research [at] econrsa.org . Closing date for receipt of applications is the 5 December 2016.
Economic Research Southern Africa is committed to excellence and equity, and all applications will be considered in terms of both objectives. Website: www.econrsa.org