Economic Research Southern Africa (henceforth ERSA) is a programme which is being funded by the National Treasury of South Africa.
The primary objectives of this research programme are:
- To provide for the management of a research programme focussed on growth, employment and broadening participation in the South African economy.
- To create a network of economic researchers based in South African universities and to deepen economic research capacity in Southern Africa.
- To expand and broaden economic research capacity in Southern Africa, train and mentor young economists and create a supportive network to link Southern African economic researchers.
- To draw a broad and representative range of South African economists into a programme of policy-oriented research, and to encourage independent and expert economic research.
ERSA employs five mechanisms designed to facilitate research activity in economics:
- The establishment of Fellows & Associates.
- The provision of grants to research projects.
- The funding of research workshops.
- The funding of academic visitors to South Africa.