The goal of this webinar series is to provide a venue for the presentation of work in public economics and to bring together researchers in the field from the Southern African region and beyond. The series covers all areas of public economics and both theoretical and empirical work is welcome.
To receive the invitation and to register for these webinars, please subscribe to ERSA mailing list here.
If you would like to present your work, please contact the series organiser, Neryvia Pillay.
- Tuesday 31 August 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Luis Meloni (University of São Paulo), "Under Pressure: Women's Leadership During the COVID-19 Crisis"
- Tuesday 17 August 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Caroline Weber (U. Kentucky), "Getting into the Weeds of Tax Invariance"
- Tuesday 20 July 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Tim Kohler (UCT), "Can cash transfers aid labour market recovery? Evidence from South Africa’s special COVID-19 grant"
- Tuesday 6 July 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Uma Kollamparambil (Wits), "Covid-19 vaccine intentions in South Africa: Health communication strategy to address vaccine hesitancy"
- Tuesday 22 June 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Mashekwa Maboshe (UCT), "Corporate taxation and firm-level investment in South Africa"
- Tuesday 8 June 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Allan Davids (UCT), "Do firms have a preference for paying exactly zero tax?"
- Tuesday 25 May 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Jessica Gagete Miranda (IADB), "An Aspiring Friend Is a Friend Indeed: School Peers and College Aspirations in Brazil"
- Tuesday 11 May 2021 4-5pm (CAT): Tim Kohler (UCT), “COVID-19 and the labour market: Estimating the causal employment effects of South Africa’s national lockdown"
- Tuesday 7 July 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Mazhar Waseem (University of Manchester), “Overclaimed Refunds, Undeclared Sales, and Invoice Mills: Nature and Extent of Noncompliance in a Value-Added Tax"
- Tuesday 14 July 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Neryvia Pillay Bell (UCT, ERSA and SARB), “The impacts of unconditional cash transfers on schooling in adolescence and young adulthood: Evidence from South Africa”
- Tuesday 28 July 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Agustin Redonda (Council on Economic Policies), “The Distributive Impact of Pension-Related Tax Expenditures in South Africa”
- Tuesday 4 August 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Tim Kohler (DPRU, UCT), “Covid-19, social protection and the labour market in South Africa”
- Tuesday 18 August 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Francois Stofberg (University of Pretoria), “A fiscus for better economic and social development in South Africa”
- Tuesday 1 September 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Gabrielle Wills (Stellenbosch University), “Household resource flows and food poverty during South Africa’s lockdown: Short-term policy implications for three channels of social protection”
- Tuesday 29 September 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Adeola Oyenubi (Wits), “Impact of Social Transfers on depressive symptoms: Evidence from the South African Old Age Pension”
- Cancelled - Tuesday 13 October 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Silas Ongudi (UCT), “Prenatal health and weather related shocks under social safety net policy in Kenya”
- Tuesday 20 October 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Senia Nhamo and Edinah Mudimu (Unisa), “Shifting from deductions to credits: Unpacking the distributional effects of medical expenditure considerations in South Africa”
- Tuesday, 24 November 2020 4-5pm (CAT): Kai Barron (Berlin School of Economics BSE) "Alcohol and short-run mortality: evidence from a modern-day prohibition"